A simplified morning routine helps any mom or dad tackle the morning rush with ease. Although you may be ready to crash shortly after baby, taking 30 minutes before bedtime will make the difference and set the tone for a good day. You may be thinking, "There's no possible way to get on a routine" or "It's a free for all in our house." This is all understandable. However, to move forward and at least feel a little more in control of your time, trying a few of these simple tips can help you get on track and stay on track:
- Spend half an hour each week choosing your outfits for the week. Put baby in a bouncer seat or on a blanket in your room while you do this. Organizing your clothing will be one less thing you need to do each morning.
- Restock the diaper bag each night to make sure you've got what you need when you need it!
- Prepare your “to go” items the night before. For example, put your work bag (if that’s where you’re headed), gym bag (if needed for later) AND all of baby's things needed for the day by the entry/exit door.
- Set the breakfast table, if needed, to save time in the morning.
- If possible, shower the night before to avoid having to wash, dry AND style hair in the morning.
- Choose an easy to maintain hairstyle and a simplified makeup routine that’s fast and easy.
- Load and run the dishwasher at bedtime so you wake up to an empty sink and clean dishes (I'm always surprised at how happy this makes me!)
- Wake up 30 minutes before baby, wash your face, get dressed and grab a cup of coffee or tea and some quiet time!
These strategies all have to do with planning and preparing in advance. The added benefit to being prepared is that if something unexpected comes up, you’ll be able to handle it with ease because most of what needed to get done is already in place.
For a complete guide to room-by-room organizing, check out The Organized Mom: Simplify Life for You & Baby One Step at a Time.